Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Yes We Have Chicks Plus This, That and The Next Thing



I was a slacker when the chicks arrived right on time.  I got organized and took a few photos and then poof be  gone. I will share my small offerings above. I will also after the loggers leave go out and  take some adolescent photos of the nuggets.



Loggers? Yes I had loggers today. I realized in early Fall that the three  eucalyptus trees close to the common fence line were not doing well. They were losing leaves and small branches that begun to look very dead.  I watched them through the winter and they continued to decline. I have always figured that with the height that they had the trees were at least as old as the cabin which went up in 1981. It took awhile to find someone to come out with the all the downed trees from late winter and the early Spring Mono winds events the need was great. I didn't mind at all taking a back seat to my neighbors in the our county who had trees literally in their kitchens, bedrooms etc.

I finally located a family who were 3+ generations in out county .  I like dealing local and especially the ones other highly respected their work and work ethic. So today was the big day the trees went down. Three eucalyptus and two incense Cedars that were planted by the previous owner .They were younger trees but unfortunately they were planted in the wrong place. Incense Cedars don't do well at elevations lower than 2000 feet and need full sun. So they went also and dead branches hanging over PGE lines that are deemed my responsibility were also removed.  They did an amazing job and at a very fair price. I am hopeful that in late winter we will light the burn pile and roast some marshmallows.

I will not use the eucalyptus to burn in the wood stove as the oils increase creosote and the chance of chimney fire. So I now have a huge burn pile patiently waiting for next February or so for the availability to burn without setting the world on fire. 

June has become  bnb month at my cabin.  It actually started with Genna over Memorial Day weekend. 

Next was my daughter in love , Genna's mama, Robin. We had a great time spending a day in Sonora and Jamestown. Had a great lunch at the Diamondback Cafe in Sonora if you are ever in the area great food at a great price. Next up a day trip this Friday from my sister , Annie my daughter the end of the following week . Potentially and old friend from True Northern California the last few days of June. I have a feeling that come July and August I will be my own best company! 

To say our weather has been wonky is an understatement. Cooled off beautifully after a week long warm spell and now we are marching back into a  heat up again. My garden is so confused it doesn't know if it is supposed to be setting veggies or going to seed. I snapped a few photos today . This garden has been in the ground since I believe late April? I didn't put last years in the ground until late May last year. Just flippin' crazy I say.





The bare root fruit trees I set in January are doing great. But I know until they are in ground for two years not to expect fruit or assume they all will live to tell about it. I am just delighted that they don't look like dead sticks I paid a nice sum for at this point! 

Need to get back at it. I will pop in again with more to share as it happens. 

6 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I miss having a garden.

Goatldi said...

Awwww thank you for sharing. Do a few things in pots. 😊

Leigh said...

Everything looks great! And you've been so busy, no wonder you haven't been hanging around the chicks photographing their every move. :)

Nancy In Boise said...

Glad you got your chicks! We got three last year and they are laying like crazy this year. We've had a really crazy weather swings too cold and hot and cold and hot I think hopefully it's leveled off. We're way behind in our veggie garden from various projects and with the weather was probably just as well

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Nuggets! All your gardening plants are looking great - ahead of mine for sure! Are you ready for all your house guests? -Jenn

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

Love the little chicks! I bet you feel better getting the trees down. I didn't know that about Eucalyptus, but makes sense when I really think about it! It's been hot than cool here too. The weather can't seem to make up it's mind. ( good old Mother nature) It's good to know your doing O.K. Take care!!