Friday, July 24, 2020

What Would You Do If This Were You?


My wonderful second child Annie helping me remove this cranky old oak after a storm left it on a perimeter fence line.

Homesteaders of the "new age".  The original homesteaders came often from far away and I often wonder what would they think of this modern day group? Homesteading wasn't a choice for them it was a necessity. And the levels of "homesteading" including the reasons they are chosen are sometimes light years from we modern day homesteaders. We run the gambit of urban even apartment living homesteading to the Kilcher Family Homestead.  And wait despite the "reality" show twist this was an amazing family venture from the 1940's. And all fashions and locations in between the two examples. But I think homesteaders have a few traits in common. Do it the best we can, with the least waste and in the appropriate amount of time. Also we all seem to be looking for a way to make it better more suited to the purpose and most beneficial to the cause as a whole. 

After this introduction here is my dilemma . I am , as so many of us are, living in the present but our minds are a season or two ahead. Because our lifestyle often requires thinking ahead as things aren't as simple as a drive to the big box store down the mountain.

I planted my first solo garden here at the new farm. I had a bit of small raised bed experience and growing in pots through the years. But the garden the real deal for many years was the responsibility of my late husband. I was the cook, canner and animal care. The three C's.  

Existing Site A


This was fenced for the dogs and not a garden. However it makes a perfect area  for a garden except it only gets full sun about 5 hour to 6 hours a day. However I do have a water source at hand and the area is completely fenced in.
If I were to keep this area the plan would be as follows. I would remove the raised beds and stock tanks. I would fence the inner area going from the corner of the dog kennel closest to the front giving a 20 ft width. I would extend the fencing back (to the right side) to the perimeter fencing. With that done I would have a 20’x40’ area. I would then run my rows length wise given me up to 8 rows 2.5 ft wide. Or less if desired. They would be raised up 12-18 inches with 2 ft wide hardware cloth on the ground as we have horrible gophers. The inside fencing would be 48” high and a gate for access. The pups would still maintain the 20x10 kennel area and a yard section to the front of the fence that would be about 15’ wide and 40’ long. Which they can occupy when I am gone from home. Leaving the pups still in the area as predator control. 

Potential Site B


Squint hard and look past the perimeter back fence toward the livestock trailer. The same sized or larger space could be put in as above and fenced as above. The garden would then enjoy more hours of direct sunlight. However doing this would require more fencing since the fencing to the left by the large eucalyptus tree is field fencing with squares large enough to accommodate an elephant.  OK I exaggerate a bit lol.
Plus there is currently no working water source in the area but one could be put in. Remember I live in an area where hoses are our best friends. Also there are no dogs any where near that area and I know from this year having the pups in the area does deter the ground squirrels.
So with all that said is it site A or site B the only advantage is more full sun through the day? I feel confident rearranging the A site I will be able to have enough plants of multiple varieties I can fill my pantry. However that will be true with site B but with more work and more initial cash outlay. Please give reasons and any suggestions in your reply.


 





8 comments:

Hummingbird said...

I don't think it has to be all one or the other. Six hours of direct sun is the minimum recommended for growing most things. I would experiment with the easier site A and if that doesn't produce the way you want, there is always plan B for some of the more sun loving plants.

Myrna said...

I agree with Hummingbird, start with plan A and then you have Plan B to fall back on.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

My first thought is go with the easier water access. Carrying buckets of water is a pain. -Jenn

Leigh said...

I've been thinking about this. You've brought up good pros and cons for both locations and since both have potential, I'd consider a long-term plan to eventually use both. Maybe start with the sunniest spots in A and figure out some sort of eventual irrigation system for B. A would be good for anything tolerant of some shade, which is always useful. Are you thinking of just annual plants? Or maybe incorporating some perennials in a permaculture sort of fashion?

Goatldi said...

Hummingbird some well made points. Thanks for flying by 😊

Goatldi said...

Thank you Myrna. I am beginning to see a trend.

Goatldi said...

A women after my own heart. I carried five gallon buckets in 2013 winter as we had an Artic freeze and all the hoses were frozen at the barns. Continued for three weeks until the big freeze. Never again hopefully!

Goatldi said...

I am in my usual fashion thinking out loud 😂

I am wishing there weren’t so many options as they all sound exciting. However as Mama Pea pointed out the broad space between beginning a project and ending it can sometimes not partially or even completely look
like the original brain storm .
I am also thinking the B sight could end up being a nice orchard area as the Blue Aptos Redwood we planted out there in early Fall seems to be doing well to date.

So perhaps an orchard and annual / perennial flower garden too!