Sunday, July 26, 2020

Another What Would You The Gardner Do?



Honeydew almost. 


What will you be doing as a self sufficient gardener to winter over your garden? And if you plant the four seasons what does your gardening protocol look like with Autumn hot on our heals?

I need ideas an things that can be applied to any growing zone with the variation being how many seasons do you or can you plant. 

Links to photos welcome let’s share our tips and help each other. 

I will plant a Fall/winter garden. I will then slowly slide into Spring if weather permits and on to summer. 

Looking forward to seeing at least one special example from all our gardening bloggers out there. New or seasoned !



2 comments:

Leigh said...

For root crops, I find a layer of heavy mulch lets me harvest all winter long. I may try my hoop house again this winter. The problem I had with that in the past is that if we get many mild days, the hoop house gets very warm and the plants think it's time to go to seed!

Mama Pea said...

As you may imagine, I have nothing to offer as far as growing anything in another season except the summer one! One year I religiously followed Eliot Coleman's recommendations for four season gardening but, of course, it was a complete bust. We're just too much farther north than his place in New England where he gardens. I've tried wintering over (or at least "holding") carrots in the ground covered with heavy mulch and a cold frame only to discover orange mush in December. I did have success back in Illinois wintering over spinach covered by a cold frame and I'm betting you could do the same. I try to make my gardening efforts a-l-m-o-s-t three season by starting things under cold frames in the spring (and using coverings in the fall) but most of the time I'm better off going with Mother Nature giving us decent growing weather. Several times I've tried planting in August for a fall garden, but just as things start to look like they might mature, they get zapped by a heavy frost. So although I'm no help whatsoever in giving illustrations of the questions you posed, I'm happy with what I can grow up here near the Arctic Circle(!) during my one main season and know you can do wonders in your friendlier climate.