Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Where Am I ? Who Am I?



Hi over here it is me. I am here but the here in the here and now is somewhat different. The view above is from my front porch. Oh it gets better to be sure but this is for starters. Moving is like getting a "new starter" kit. But it is also similar to one of my favorite Mary Engelbreit quote's "wherever you go there you are."

So after a 7 hour drive looking like a gypsy caravan Walnetto Farm has landed. A dear friend of many years and her husband have been incredibly helpful before, during and after the move. Donna drove Geoffrey's vehicle loaded with 4 house cats and Tubby Tabby the barn cat in crates and anything else we could stuff in. Believe me that was a lot of stuff. I hauled my livestock trailer with 6 goats  and Sherman /Yarrow  (who really counted as 2 more goats) with them. The chickens including my beloved Flame had a shaded pen squished in between more stuff in the truck bed.

Did we forget anyone ? No. Ari the English setter and Calli the resident Border Collie Aussie were strategically placed with more stuff in the truck cab.  And when we pulled in we were all accounted for and alive except for one ginger hen. Even with the provisions that were made to shelter them from sun, wind and a very warm day she was dead upon our arrival. Last checked at the halfway fuel stop and she was fine. But sometimes transporting animals doesn't end well despite having crossed all one's T's and dotted one's I's.


This lovely doe made the trip without missing a beat or a milking. She is now giving a gallon once a day on a regular basis even with the move and has blossomed into a lovely two year old. You may remember her looking more like this. Even as a senior kid always on the run I knew Miss. Willa had potential.

A familiar chair with a familiar quilt gifted to me by Pamela my good friend adds home to the new living room. 






What is to be a summer kitchen or a winter BBQ area. With some modifications from my "things to do list" 

 Tubby Tabby the barn cat knows a good thing on a warm afternoon. 


Got the tact area in the barn aka Mare   Doe Motel cleaned up and organized yesterday.


Some of the does who reside in the area . A copious amount of fencing is being planned and contracted as I type. Since Geoffrey passed I have to find good local help to do what he used to do that I can't.



This is the delightful garden area with a fire pit , gates on either side , a Hibiscus tree and lavender. More herbs to come in time. Plus a brick pathway perhaps next year? 

We have been here for almost three weeks. Donna stayed the first ten days with us and helped a lot. I will pop up on your blogs or here  with more frequency but still have copious amounts of boxes and appointments coming up .  Seeing family of one sort or another on a weekly basis which makes my heart sing. 

If you want to be included in a drawing to celebrate our first month here please submit your contact with your comment. Will post photo of prize on Friday the 23rd. Drawing will be on the 30th our one month anniversary. I will ship anywhere in the USA .


8 comments:

Leigh said...

Hurray! You're all moved in and back online. Well, I'm sure you still have plenty to do, but it looks like you've made wonderful progress and that all the critters are happy with their new home. And speaking of critters, Miss Willa's udder made me swoon! Gorgeous!

Goatldi said...

Thanks Leigh it has been a long journey in many ways. But we are here as excited as in the beginning when I first saw this sweet real log home “cabin”.

Have high hopes that by November the fencing will be done. We will all have adjusted to the then new normal.

Willa is a joy. Not only is she probably the most correct doe I have bred in 35 years but her temperament and personality are amazing. We are still milking “on the ground “ as it is but this young girl stands by the fence line waiting for me to tie her. Turns the opposite way on her own when I finish the first side and is happy to stand while milked if the grain and carrots are gone and chew her cud. She will probably be my last miller so I am grateful for such a delightful doe to go out with.

I am happy to be back and I am enjoying your post as those if others.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Looks like your move was a nice one. We are considering moving, but it may take some time yet.

Susan said...

Oh, how absolutely wonderful! What a move that must have been - and to make it all intact (almost) is a miracle. Or at least great planning and excellent husbandry. Willa is a lovely doe and I am sure they are all enjoying their new digs. Your new home has so much potential and I am so glad you are near family. Can't wait to share the adventure (virtually)!

Goatldi said...

Thank you Susan.
I am very excited about the potential. The blind man came yesterday measured all 28 windows,!including the hexagon one way up the wall. Look forward to his estimate to see what I can get done now.

I am not usually a get it done now girl but the staging curtains that were left in the house were most certainly bordello quality. I took them all down and found them a new home. As I wasn’t interested in starting a new profession.

Garlic goes in groundbat Autumnal Equinox😊

Goatldi said...

Guess what no photo of potential prize due to blog author having too much fun. Stay tuned more info shortly.

Mama Pea said...

I can hardly believe you found such a lovely place that is just perfect for you and all the animals. I can't help but think there was a Good Spirit with a guiding force bringing you to it. So wise of you to start this next phase of your life near relatives. You're there nearly a month already? (Ha, time seems to fly in California, too!) Eager to read more of your coming adventures. What fun to make this place exactly as you want it.

Lynne said...

It's so wonderful to see you in your lovely new home. Glad the trip was made safely with all your animals. They seem to have settled nicely. The barn cat looks quite happy with his surrounding. Your place looks perfect for you. What great friends to help you get thru the move. You take special care!! xxoo