Monday, July 13, 2020

Weft Warp What ?!



Some people call it hoarding I call it controlled chaos. And one that has laid untouched for over two years. And this is only the tip of the iceberg . Included in the inventory are two more of those handy dandy storage boxes full of weaving cones and implements.   And that doesn't count an eight shaft floor loom with a  48 inch weaving width and not one but two four shaft table looms both with a 24 inch weaving width. 

And wait if you call before midnight PDT there are two spinning wheels and numerous amounts of ready to spin fiber. All of course purchased with the best of intentions. And then there is the knitting collection well maybe we will just pass that one over. An addiction? Maybe. An expression of a craft? Perhaps. Lets be honest the road to Hell is paved with fiber  good intentions.






Exhibit A .  Recently purchased as my reentry weaving project . But it is for someone (name unmentioned to protect the innocent) as a gift. I have this good intention  bad habit of seeing something someone family, friends, next door neighbor would like and then swooping down on it . Any reason excuse will do. But this one will be done but then it dawned on me I am a bit weaving rusty and perhaps I should begin my weaving journey with something a bit less involved?  So this lovely will be tackled after I test the waters with the project below. 




This little gem has advantages. One I wove it before my weaving hiatus about four years ago. The colors were as pictured in the photo on the info card.  I loved it easy peasy so I think it will be a no brainer for reentry to weaving and using a new to me via my good friend Janet (of Holiday ranch in Shasta) my neighbor back then. Just before she moved to the outback of Nevada I bought to lighten her load. See? I am always ready to help a friend when needed. I will use the new colors to help whittle down my stash. 


 Boy was this ever delish! I BBQed a small lamb sirloin roast and the last of my California 
State University, Fresno  farm stand white corn. BBQ is a new venture for me as Geoffrey was the grill person at our place. I missed it and wanted to cook outside on warmer days. This is my second attempt the first being chicken and the lamb is local from our Farmers Market

                                                                                              
                                                                                


The cucumber salad is the first of the season of my Persian crop marinated in a nice red wine vinegar dressing



For the last of the Monday report how about a few photos of Mama Hen and her sweet Nuggets? I gave them a third of my lunch a small watermelon. The older birds got the larger two thirds of course I enjoyed most of it before they got to it. I was most impressed at this good Mama when she called her trio over and proceeded to pull small pieces of melon out of the rind and tossed each chick a piece all the while clucking instructions to them as to proper table etiquette.




 
























11 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I know you're a talented weaver and won't need much of a brush-up before going full-bore at it. And set up those spinning wheels, too. It's not a hobby or addition or frittering away of time. It's a passion and good to see you getting back into it.

Oh, that meal! Looks so good and I'm not even hungry.

wyomingheart said...

Yummy on that delicious meal!

Lady Locust said...

Looking forward to seeing your project 😊. I just sold my loom last year. Couldn’t part with my wheel though. Baby steps 😂

Goatldi said...

Thank you MP.

The wheels have become living room ornaments for the most part. I have been getting some alpaca ready to spin on the combs .

Hopefully I will get the warp for the towels done this week. Once the loom is dressed the rest is pretty much a down hill slide.

The BBQ was a successful endeavor indeed. Mixed some small bits of the roast with my fresh from the garden cucumber tomato salad and had a feast last night.

Goatldi said...

Lady Locust that must have been difficult.
I may part with my eight shaft and just use the table looms. My little cabin can’t manage the floor loom . So it lives in the shop. Decision still to come on that.

Hang on to that wheel and share your creative moments with us.

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

I don't think your rusty from not weaving! You've just have to get back into it.There must be weaving guilds around there you can get involve with? Go for it!!! Loved the meal you produced! Looked so yummy. Stay safe and take care !!xo

Goatldi said...

Thanks. Are you a weaver?

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

No, but did get into it years ago. It has always intrigued me. I have used smaller looms. There is a place on Nantucket that has quite a weaving Store. It's fun to go in and watch them weave. You have to take a ferry to get there. Take super care!!

Susan said...

OMG, did I have a good laugh while reading this post! I am all about the accessories and the stuff. It's a good thing I have a small house, or there would be loom(s). It looks like you've nailed BBQ - I love grilled corn! Your little chicken family is adorable.

Goatldi said...

Come back to the fold.;-)

Goatldi said...

Thank you Miss. Susan! Those are high words of approval coming from the only woman I have known to have mastered nook and cranny house keeping then made it an art form.

Pressing on in the BBQ arena. Sure is nice not to have to warm up the house while without eating cool or room temp options. I want to learn how to do the corn better than the last batch. CSUF has a very strong Ag department and a large on campus farm plus a recently remodeled farm store. They grow white and yellow corn so yummy my sister swears they fertilized with crack cocaine as it is so additive.