Monday, October 14, 2019

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors When You Can Get One Built.



Moving is always a chore. No matter if you are moving from a tiny house to a ranch or to a smaller space from a larger one. If you bring goldfish or Angus it will present challenges that nothing else does.

Moving from Ash Creek property in Shasta county comprised of 40 acres totally relying on totally  solar to the new farm on 3.64 acres back on the grid was no exception. Bringing livestock with me (goats, chickens, dogs and cats) presented its own set of issues. First was all the fencing needed to be replaced as it was either not Pyrenees, goat or Border Collie strong. It was old for the most part some I swear us from the time the pioneers came through. Much of one stretch is almost none existent let alone sufficient.  I cannot lie both the street side and the common fence between my property and my closest neighbor was ok. But there is more to the story on that.

So when I had to move in a "greyhound" fashion I had to plan for keeping everyone safe and healthy as I knew the fencing would take awhile. That involved improvising with corral panels left to me on the property. The previous owner had horses so to make them work for goats and Pyrs each one we used had to be reinforced with a 16' ft long 5 ft tall cattle panel. Corral panels are usually 10 - 12 feet long and are a pipe construction making them stand alone when linked to each other . Cattle panels cannot stand alone and need support from either T post or being attached to another panel such as corral panels. The photo below shows part of the area we did to give the dogs and goats a reasonable space in addition to the custom build "mare motel" that came with the property. But only temporary. 



Like all well planned parades something always goes sideways and this theory proved to be no exception. I couldn't find anyone to start the fencing prior to my taking possession of the property. In our first move to Mendocino county we were able to do so with a hold harmless clause but no one in our new area was willing to jump into that potential snake pit. I can't say I blame them as litigation has just about become a spectator sport in last 25 or so years. Then I found as I called company after company that apparently a large part of this central California foothill community had fencing done this year. So the wait time was a unheard of 3 - 5 months. With the stress of moving plus into spaces smaller then usual this wasn't acceptable.

So I continued on my search and found a seasoned fence guy but with one draw back . His real job is with Cal Fire. I was content to go with him even knowing the process may be slower but a better shot than the options. That was until the fire opps. Although he has been able to do several equipment drops the "real" job totally took him away beginning October 6th to the fire lines of the Briceburg Fire . https://fire.ca.gov/incidents/2019/10/6/briceburg-fire/

At this point my anticipated finish date of end of November for all the livestock fencing is realistically now the end of December. The critters are doing well even though our day to day routine is limited. With the bad western fence none of the dogs can leave the barn / pen area without being on lead. The house dogs haven't left the house without the same restriction.  The last thing we need is search and rescue on any of them. Do I trust them yes with some hesitation on the house dogs as we have too many cottontails and squirrels to make it a very tempting opportunity. So everyone gets at least one walk about a day . The house dogs have a 10 x 20  ft kennel they can use to be off lead outside and since they love me so much they like to be where I am and they can see me from their kennel if I am out doing chores, yard work and so forth.


For now we will patiently wait and continue on as best we can manage. Knowing this is not forever makes it easier and in a few months it will all be a distant memory.

Stay tuned. I am hoping to churn out a post today or in a few with the debut  of  the best kept secret of the month "Do my neighbors have coop envy?"



11 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

That is a bit of a wait! Looks like you have things under control for now. Hope there are no more snags in your plans. -Jenn

Goatldi said...

Thanks Jenn! Me also. Every day I sit on my porch and enjoy my chickens. And I am reminded of you.

Lynne said...

It is a little bit of a wait, but it is going to get done, thank goodness!! For now they look pretty comfortable. Good job! Did you get to your first guild meeting? Are the chicens laying eggs for you? xo

Leigh said...

So many changes and adjustments come with moving. They never happen fast enough, do they?! Great idea to attach the cattle panels to the corral panels.

Are you in an area where they're cutting power? That certainly wouldn't help.

Goatldi said...

Good news the fire is just about mopped up. The fence builder returns tomorrow!
Apparently public whining produces results πŸ˜‚
Thank you for your support.

Yes I got to the September and the October general meeting. Next goal is to make it to the monthly spin in. Which is the fourth Tuesday of the month.

They are. I proudly tout my first over dozen of eggs. Not laid in a day but a nice collected amount.

Goatldi said...

You mean in succession I assume😊

No we were not in the line of PGE wrath. Oh you really don’t want to get me going on *that* soapbox😝

wisps of words said...

It is very difficult to not say; "It's always something." -sigh- But it is often true. So this makes it very difficult, for me, to drop the 'Grumble' outlook.

Which of course, we all know, is not good for our health. Yishhhhh....

Thank you for your good wishes, on the 'Grumbly-things' here. And good wises back, for your 'things.' -smile-

I take it, the neighbors do have coop envy! -grin- Sooooo if they like yours better, they simply have to build theirs, to a more pleasing shape. -smile-

πŸ‚πŸπŸŽƒπŸπŸ‚

wisps of words said...

Oh my! I can just bet I know your attitude on PGE. Which I take it, is the power company which *manages* to keep starting fires. And is now cutting power at times, to some areas, to avoid such.

Ahemmmm, why haven't they fixed their equipment?

πŸ‚πŸπŸŽƒπŸπŸ‚

Goatldi said...

Too busy paying out CEO bonuses first.

Then no money left for maintenance. Cry me a river. And tell that to the good folks of Paradise. Loved that mountain town!

My opinion of PGE doesn’t reflect on the folks who do the work. Some of my good friends have been or are linemen .

Mama Pea said...

But the important thing is that while you make it through your enforced wait (!), the animals are all comfortable and safe. And you're getting more outdoor exercise than you need with the daily "walks on leashes!"

Goatldi said...

True Mama Pea!

But the down side is when the English and the B/C see a cottontail. Let us just say no permanent damage but my acupuncturist will be pleased with the extra income. πŸ˜‚