Monday, October 28, 2019

Hello Darkness My Old Friend . . .



Remember it is never the grunts but those behind them that run them that run the show. So here is to the folks who answer the phones , walk the lines and keep things running as smoothly as a large electrical company can. And they can’t ever be held responsible for what happens in the back room.

But whining and tossing around opinions aren’t going to change what it is. But let me give it a go. If you run a public utility company your top priority should be keeping your equipment up to snuff and not I repeat NOT awarding massive bonuses to the upper crust . You don’t avoid legitimate responsibilities like being sure your equipment is in good working order and then passing that responsibility down to the ones who really write your bonuses and paychecks the public.

Let us look at it this way. If my truck has faulty brakes and because I put repairing them on hold when I can’t stop and plow into a group of people I will be held accountable for operating faulty equipment and I will reap the ramifications of such. Apparently this is not the case if one is a multimillion bizillon corporation.

So here I sit lap littered with cats dogs at my feet. Munching my toffee chocolate bar and sipping red wine by lantern light.


I have added water to the stock  tank from two gallon containers I picked up at the market today. I have feed everyone and had an inprov shower. Spent the day today with a dear friend with lunch out and some thrift store shopping and a quilt store visit on the valley floor.
I knew what I could potentially be set up for when I came off my mountain and back on the grid. I was hoping for the grace of one winter to get the water holding tank and generator in place. But greed allows no luxuries except for those who create it. So until I can do my homework and get the numbers crunched we will be as prepared as possible. By the by the first warning was sent by text at 7:05 AM. The lights went out and at 2PM same day. I am assuming that PGE thinks those in the blackout areas are established and have the game plan done. Sorry PGE I am still just working on a balance of normal after the last landslide year of crazy.



Living room by lantern light. 

16 comments:

Leigh said...

Goatldi, good grief. This is lifestyle shock for you! I have yet to find a plausible explanation as to why California links its fire season to its electrical grid. Sounds like you're saying the equipment is out of date and in need of replacement/repair. The utility company should definitely bear blame for negligence, but from the other side of the country, it seems the state government has some responsibility too. Shouldn't it make infrastructure a top priority, rather than using tax dollars for free healthcare for non-citizens? Sorry, I know that's a real hot-button kettle of worms to mention, but I'm not saying that as a political statement. Some things make sense and some things don't. If the state burns down, everybody will lose!

Mama Pea said...

You're a super-strong gal made of tough stuff and will come through this in good shape because you know how to handle it. A big inconvenience, yes, especially with the responsibility of all your beloved animals. Keep us up to date on your situation and know there are many of us thinking of you. Hugs.

Susan said...

Absolutely true! Let's pass the burden to those who always bear the burden, right? I hope your power is back - on the other hand, red wine, toffee bar and a cosy room with dogs and cats isn't all that bad...

wisps of words said...

Oh so true!!!! It's not the accessible people, who are responsible for the damage done, by big companies!!!!

Best wishes, with getting through this first year, of getting established.

Gentle hugs,

🍂🍁🎃🍁🍂

Goatldi said...

This is a multi fault issue. I will not give PGE anything close to exoneration for this. However it got this way in stages.

Multiple Governor's administrations have contributed to the issue. As have radical environmental groups with deep pockets behind them usually from the more liberal parties. The public who is so far removed from reality of how to care properly for old growth forests to the sector that feels anything short of total hands off “because if it isn’t natural” it is wrong . And all those wonderful forest creatures that Mr. Disney portrayed in a very unrealistic way added to the public disconnect on wildlife. Then the folks who didn’t vote out of apathy to the folks who where so persuaded by a poorly worded they didn’t have a good understanding what they were voting for or against.

Even government agencies working on the same issues often clash and egos get in the way of solutions.

This will take as much time to unravel as it did to get here. But it most certainly won’t be expedited by current administration and it is and always will be a very glaring example of a large corporation willing to throw their customers to the wolves if it means not bearing the responsibility of maintaining their equipment through the years at the cost of life and now trying to pass the responsibility off to the public.

Goatldi said...

Thanks girl!

It is the journey but worth being able to take me sweet daughter-in-love to lunch because I had business in Fresno that day 💕

Goatldi said...

Right on!

Keeps me warmer also. In the mid 30’s this morning 🎊

Goatldi said...

Thanks and totally agree.

I told my friend yesterday during a much needed trip for nothing but fun “at least I don’t have an outage with a fire behind it!”

Lynne said...

Seems like we are always at the mercy of the power companies. It will be good when you get your generator running. I think maybe I'd better get one of those also. The wine and chocolate sounds good!!xo

Hill Top Post said...

Even in darkness, everything looks beautiful. You seem so able to cope with whatever comes your way. Best wishes!

Leigh said...

The bottom line is always about money, and it's always the common folk who end up paying the price one way or another. You all have a right to be angry.

Sadly, the information misunderstanding you describe is a problem with so many issues. Sometimes I listen to speakers or read opinions that are so poorly worded that I can't figure out if they're for or agin.

I just pray you are able to stay safe. You're one amazing lady!

Goatldi said...

Thank you!

I appreciate your comments. When it is wrong well we need to find a way to make it right .

Goatldi said...

I am frustrated. I have worked my whole life on the pie theory. The pie is big enough for everyone to have a piece.

I am still not sure how amazing I am. But I know I am blessed and a child of God and have the most amazing friends. Not because of what we don’t have incommon but what we do.

The Wykeham Observer said...

I hope you can get some relief and get back on track soon. Seems like you haven't even had a chance to get settled! Take care. Phil/MN

Goatldi said...

Thanks Phil. We are getter there in small pieces. I hope I get it together soon as 15 family members will be assembled here for my first family Thanksgiving since 2005! I can’t wait and thank God for potlucks😂

wisps of words said...

Re: Your comment on my blog..... Your coming holidays sound as if they will be wonderful. So happy you are closer to family.

😊🔥😊