Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Cleansing of the Garden and "here kitty".

 

 


Hopefully in a  week or so to rest fall planting will begin. Not a lot but a few beans, a
few  a good deal of radishes and some kale. Maybe a few other this 'n that. But today I removed all but the Sun Gold Cherry tomato, the Indigo Rose tomato, the melon as one was picked and another needs just a bit more time. Oh and my loved Persian cucumber mostly heat/smoke damaged removed but a few blossoms coming on and heck yes I will baby it on for a bit longer.

It also appears that my herbs continue to do well except my peppermint who were healthy and growing like crazy until the fires covered the sky daily and now it it a mess of black little dry leaves. This comes as no surprise in Spring of 2019 I found that four of seven of my lovely rose bushes had fallen to not the heat but smoke laced air from the Carr fire 2018 . Remember this?


Air like this day after day makes it difficult for plants to breath add high temperatures and it will take a toll. 

But as so many are doing daily we get up and  get going and hope this country rights itself and that the sun will come out tomorrow and it is only a day away. 
So carry and I look forward to less smoke, less fire and lower temperatures.  Toss in renewed growing area and a Fall garden with some goodies to hold us over until the orchard gets started and the Spring garden gets going. 

I didn't go looking for him. But he called and then came and now well meet Lil' Dude Marmalade a 5 month old orange boy cat who is the epidemy of what my sisters friend calls a "lucky ginger cat". He went to the vet on Monday was declared healthy, wormed and confirmed he has a pair. A snip and chip will be held in October to remedy that. 


He was one of three at my sisters little country school. His loving ways set him up for a quick catch and now he is an indoor kid until after the chip and snip in October . Then he will be slowly integrated into a indoor outdoor kid. Right now his favorite activities are eating, sleeping, eating , sleeping and hugs with lots of purrs tossed in.  How could I say "no"?

Only 27 days to Autumn and I must say I for one am looking forward to a change. 


I apologize for the unfinished appearance to this post. I am unable to navigate the new blogger for some unknown . Wish they would just leave well enough alone. I have decided to post anyway you all will get the drift. 



 


15 comments:

Leigh said...

Be sure to give blogger feedback about your difficulties! I reverted back to legacy mode, but they say that will go away next month. Did not like the new blogger interface - found it too clunky.

I need to do in my garden what you're doing to yours. I've held off because we finally got so much rain last week, but some things need to be retired and I need to get some seeds planted in my starting trays. Too much to do!

Love you new kitty. He looks like a real sweetheart.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, those fires. And I didn't realize the smoke-filled air would be so destructive to live, growing plants. I know you can and will deal with this, but how frustrating and discouraging when you're working so hard to get established on your new homestead. And a big welcome to Lil' Dude Marmalade!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Look at that little guy! We've never had a ginger cat, but every one I've met has been friendly and full of personality. He's a keeper! -Jenn

Goatldi said...

Isn’t he just sassy? He is such a love bug. This is only my second ginger cat. Simba , wonder how many thre were after Lion King, had some health issues and loved a full but short life.

I am looking to many years of fun with Lil Dude M.

Goatldi said...

It wasn’t apparent initially Mama Pea. The only sign was in the autumn of 2018 the roses went into a dormant stage early and never came back the next Spring. We also had that wonky winter with snow and a 100 year flood. But I feel that the weeks of poor air quality was the culprit.

Thanks for the welcome for the Dude. He is a good diversion from the crazy of this funky year.

Goatldi said...

Clunky good word Leigh. I don’t know why they need to mess with content unless they are getting complaints. New and improved isn’t always wanted or better.

I never think about lodging a complaint as I just grumble and move on. Will do and I will change back for as long as I can!

We have a cooler morning and it just keeps going down in the next ten days. May see some eighties soon 😊

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

how horrible to have to live with that smoke! Love the kitty! We have one just like it and he to is a love bug! Tello, has quite a personality. Like his name a lot!! Stay safe!

Nancy In Boise said...

Sorry you had tough time with all the smoke and your garden, hopefully some rain and cooler cooler temperatures will come soon. Good for you adopting a little kitty! I have done that to where they sort of found me. I'm not liking the new blogger either I can't seem to embed new code and a few other Oddities. I suspect that they updated it with more people using Windows 10 etcetera but that's just a guess. is Google and it's free so I'll keep using it but it's kind of a pain, hang in there!

wyomingheart said...

What a erect little Ginger! Lil Guy is going to be quite a wonderful addition to your homestead!

Goatldi said...

Why thank you!
He truly is a love bug!

wyomingheart said...

Should have said ... perfect little ginger! ... lol

Goatldi said...

I took it that you deemed him alert. Which he is. All purrs, all boy, all ginger. But he needs guidance lol.

Susan said...

What a handsome little devil! I love that - chip and clip. Wish more folks would chip and clip. I didn't even think about what damage smoke-filled skies would do to plants. I am with you on looking forward to autumn. I am so over 2020,

Goatldi said...

Thanks for updates and comment. I am a bit behind blog wise. Hope to fix that today.

Goatldi said...

Thanks Susan. He is such a hunk. Hope to get a blog update done today re: the fire from Hell and Dude. He came to me at the right time as my little corner of the world has needed the joy he has added to it!