Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Hot, Humid and Humble



Remember The Nuggets? Well they are now known around the coop as The Chicklets and are wild and crazy. They are at that weird stage where their bodies and legs don't match but they are becoming very good at zooming in on the scratch goodies in the morning and evening and on occasion just about taking it out of one of the elders mouths. 

 
I have taken to giving the coop yard a good soaking under the eucalyptus trees every morning as it creates a nice cooling effect for Mama hen and the Chicklets plus the other chickens that makes it easier for them to make it through the hot afternoons until the early evening cool offs.


 These ladies are digging it literally.










And Mr. Newman struts his stuff in his avian Speedo's.

My  pickings from my Sun Gold this morning . The larger one in the lower left is an Indigo Rose that is very ripe.  See the elongated Sun Gold to the upper right of  it?  I am finding more and more of these since last end of week when our toasty heat wave began.  It is almost as they are morphing in shape potentially the high heat sucking the moisture right out of them? I picked all that were ripe today as I have found if I don't I end up with tomato raisins from the elevated temps. And they are indeed long, wrinkled and the water leaves the sugars concentrated and the resulting effect is very chewy and super sweet. 











The herbs are all doing remarkably well  and are growing up a storm.





The cukes and zucchini not so well. In fact I will be pulling them up on the next cool morning. I am certain their time is past. Not a lack of water just too many days of triple digits.

Take note of the green to the left of the zucchini. It is my little Patio Baby Eggplant. Still producing its little eggplants. Why? I think because of its leaning toward Mediterranean climate. Which is known to be in abundance here.    

My lovely Persian cucumbers not so much but I still have one in the fridge.


I will hope that my Sun Gold along with the Indigo Rose tomato make it through the next few days and both of them along with the eggplant continue to produce a bit longer. The beans are walking out the gate as I type this post. But I do have a lovely  almost ripe Honeydew melon waiting for me.  I am hopeful that the ground squirrels continue to respect the boundaries and the dogs.  In years past I have seen a group of ground squirrels carry off pretty good sized watermelon and cantaloupe. 
 

6 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I love seeing how everybody's gardens are doing. Are those orange cherry tomatoes? They're gorgeous. I only grew eggplants once, but I loved how they looked! Such a different colour to have in a vegetable garden. -Jenn

Leigh said...

You have eucalyptus trees? I didn't know they grew anywhere in the US! They look perfect for chicken hideouts.

Gardening in a new place is always an adventure because every place has it's challenges! Have you started planting for a fall garden yet?

Goatldi said...

Eggplants are the Christmas Tree ornaments of the garden. With their rich deep royal purple color and bulbous shapes.

Yes cherry tomato variety Jenn .Sun Gold been around here in the states for awhile. I bet you could find them up north somewhere. Fun to grow and always super prolific!

Goatldi said...

Why yes I do have eucalyptus trees Leigh. Four of them two of two different varieties. I will put on my arborists hat and find out their names and take some photos. We have quite a few in the Central California area but see them up in the San Fransisco area in a sweet little town called Petaluma .

And correct the shorter two make great chicken tents and cooling stations.

I haven’t started planting for fall yet as the space is still occupied with summer. Next week I will clear out the dead and dying , prep the soil and get busy.

Due to the current heat wave one of my basil and a radish I planted two weeks ago came up and promptly bolted. Nice flowers though lol.

Mama Pea said...

Aw, you're taking such good care of your chickens! May they reward you with a plentiful supply of eggs. Soon. Had to laugh at Mr. Newman in his "speedo!"

Goatldi said...

MP thank you! Chickens were the first addition to the farm when we first moved out of town into the country. Both the two legged kids showed poultry in 4H and open shows / fairs. I depend on my chickens for eggs so you bet they are pampered!

Mr. Newman he is the bomb isn't he? Altho I think he looks a bit confused in that photo. I don't think he is used to all the cat calls and whistles from the hens.