Friday, August 21, 2020

Dry Lighting Here We Go




As most of you know my California has again been hit  with a copious amount of dry lighting strikes resulting in well over one hundred active fires .
Everything from the easily controlled and extinguished to hundreds of thousands acres . Some in desolate areas of  BLM wilderness areas to fair to heavily populated. 

My breath was taken away at the photo of I80 a major link between Sacramento and the Bay Area thickly populated and a stones throw from the University of California at Davis.  I unfortunately was on the valley floor at the time and didn't think to save it. Let it suffice to say the flames were almost on the freeway and just shortly after that stretch of interstate was closed to traffic. 


The 2:00PM sun yesterday


   
     Somehow the critters manage to play in the smoke pretty much oblivious to any potential danger. 



For now our biggest issues are thick smoke and heavy cover that is a bit uncomfortable. We do have a fire at 2800 acres last I looked that crossed county boundaries and an evacuation center was opened at the local fairgrounds.

We have had a fire advisory warning in place the last almost 24 hours. I think for now we are ok except to hear the loss of  stock, homes and old stand redwoods which are heart breaking. 

11 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I've been thinking of you and am upset to hear the fires are so close to you. Such a helpless feeling to be in that situation. Your pictures definitely convey the all-encompassing smoke and feeling of unease. Take care, my bloggy friend. Sending a prayer your way as well as to everyone else affected. Please keep us updated.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I hope you continue to be o.k. I can't imagine having that worry right now. -Jenn

Goatldi said...

Thanks Mama Pea. Yup I am on year twelve of the wildfire(s) a season plan. My first experience was the lighting strike fires in Redwood Valley in Mendocino county in 2008.

http://bobbeltrami.com/wildFire2008.htm

That seemed liked the end of the world but apparently was only the beginning of this journey .

Right now we are still ok. The temperature has come down and hopefully we are leaving the 100 degree mark behind for this year. Our low was 67 this morning which felt so good after a string of waking up to 80 degrees for several days. But I figure a small price to pay when five souls have died in these fires and many have lost their homes and livestock.



Goatldi said...

Thanks Jenn. It is so heart breaking to watch this happen. Hopeful there will be no more deaths and God will watch over the brave men and women who are fighting the good fight.

Gorges Smythe said...

Life is dangerous as it is. I really can't understand those "nature lovers" who let the brush grow right up to their doors.

Goatldi said...

That is one of the issues involved. Too many bills got passed tying hands to do clear cutting and under brush removal. They say it isn’t natural. Well this is the outcome of not doing it . I don’t feel the lose of life, property and livestock is a particularly good alternative.

Leigh said...

I worry about you! Scary stuff. I'm sure the smoke is annoying, but I'm glad you're safe for now.

Goatldi said...

Leigh I appreciate that. Funny yesterday I had a text from my sister and two phone calls one from my son and another from my daughter. I have found it to be true that bad news does travel fast indeed.

And in turn I worry about the young man with a sweet wife and baby girl. Coleman and his sidekick Cody both put up all my fencing last fall and winter both work CalFire on season. They also bear the same names as my two nephews. So I worry.

I also worry after the news from a mutual friend a family in Mendocino county were evacuated with only their clothes they wore, one if there dogs, and the important papers they could carry. No time to load stock the fire was double time flying their way.

They returned home the next day to ashes , most of the their goat herd dead and among the living their two Great Pyrenees .

So when we worry in turn we hold each other up. Thank you .

Nancy In Boise said...

Hang in there, praying for rain

linnellnickerson@gmail.com said...

My prayers are with all of you ! Must be terribly scary and terrifying for people living there. All they've work for gone in a matter of seconds.Stay safe, Goatidi ! ox

Goatldi said...

Thank you Linnell
I think if one is in a situation often enough and pay attention and learn the potential process one doesn’t become terrified. As grievous as it is knowing the drill helps.

At least for me that works. If I have a plan and direction I can fall apart afterwards. I don’t if that makes any sense?

Maybe what I am saying is if I am immobilized I am no good to anyone even myself .
Just being philosophical.
Thank you for your support and encouragement.