Saturday, August 15, 2020

Garden Still Going

 

Some small but beans they are. My beans did as well that could be expected this year.  In my mind I had an 80x40 foot garden. In reality I had two raised beds, one cattle mineral mix lick bucket and two 60 gal stock tanks. So considering this must be a bumper crop!

Look who joined me for coffee a few mornings ago on the front porch. He/she parents much larger were hanging  slithering early in the Spring. This is a racer snake out here not a garter as our garters more strongly resemble a California rattler. 

This beauty is one of mine and the hummers favorites. And thanks to Dee I now know it is a Canna Lily

and will be looking for more this Fall as they come in wonderful colors is one of few lilies that are not poisonous for cats and dogs.

One of great meals I had in the last week not once but three times. Beef raised locally by folks in my church. I am looking forward to adding more cuts to my current small refrigerator freezer and hopefully getting a larger self standing freezer and being able to keep more on hand. 

 

The growing fifth cutting to come next month. Finally found a home for my hay supply.

Found this grower about thirty minutes from my home. I picked  up six bales of alfalfa fourth cutting and I am really excited as is great quality and about ten dollars less a bale then what I have been paying. 


Right now we are having a toasty period. highs in the mid 100/s and lows only in the mid 70's . Should be gone in a week. Until then work like crazy in the morning and get inside things done (including making a big batch of peach jam) until things level out. It is August in central California! 

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Sending you boatloads of beans as mine did exceptionally well this year. Leftovers went to two different households which made me feel good. Plan to pull the plants today and know I'll find plenty more nice ones still on the bushes. If only I could grow tomatoes (!) like beans!! (Whine, whine, whine.)

Goatldi said...

Why thanks MP. I love having a lot of beans on hand for Fall and Winter soups, stews and just plain sides. As I mentioned before I may break down and buy about five pounds from my farmers market neighbors and put those up this year.

The Wykeham Observer said...

Nice post. Yes, if it is hot, better to keep busy in the am and relax as much as possible later on. Of course, we never really relax. Phil/MN

Goatldi said...

You bet Phil! There is always something that needs doing. Thanks for dropping by. Miss your post. Hope the laundry kitty is doing well!